Tips For Parents
IMPORTANT DO’s AND DONT’S
DO’s (depending on the situation or the age of your child some of the following may not apply)
- Tell your child that therapy is not a “test or an exam”
- Tell your child therapy will usually last 45min and will happen every week or every other week
- Bring your child therapy as scheduled and on time-children feel more secure and do better in therapy when they have consistent appointments
- Tell your child that therapy is confidential
- Tell your child she is going to therapy because she/he is “bad” or “the problem” or something is “wrong with them”
- Tell him/her to listen to the therapist and do whatever she/he is asked to do
- Give your child any pressure about being good in session
- Tell your child how much the session costs or that it is expensive
- Talk about your concerns regarding your child to me in front of your child as this usually makes children feel uncomfortable. If you would like to discuss a concern please use the parent weekly report or call prior to the session
Other Do’s and Don’ts between sessions
- Try not to force your child to come to sessions. If theres a problem bringing your child to sessions, please call me to consult.
- Do not give consequences or any punishments if your child refuses to come to sessions.
- Try not to bribe your child to go to sessions e.g. if you go you get ice cream afterwards
- If your child shows you a drawing after her sessions, try not to say any judging comments such as “it’s a beautiful picture” “how come the person isn’t smiling, or has no hands”
- After the session, DON’T ask your child if she had fun or a good time-it’s “therapy”
- Important Reminders for Each Session
- Ask your child what they did or talked about in session
- Please call me, email or text me the day prior to the session if there are significant updates so I am kept informed and can plan accordingly
- It’s best for your child to wear play clothes and “dress for mess”
- Please wait until your appointment time to enter the office and wait quietly in the reception area
- Ensure your child has a healthy snack prior to the session. Please do not send your child into session with any food or drinks.
- Please do not send your child to session with toys from home. The focus should be on the toys/materials/activities in the play room as they have been specifically designed for therapeutic value. Your child may want to bring a special toy to share with me, if so I will address this directly with your child and you may allow her to bring it. Your child may be asked to bring a special toy, if so I will let you know this.
- Take your child to the bathroom before the session.